Mainly peeling skin is a short-term problem and one should avoid worrying too much about it. Many a times peeling skin is a symptom indicating other skin problems. Some of the common causes of skin peeling are
• Heavy perspiration due to tight gloves or boots
• Sunburn – Sunburn is another common reason for skin peeling
• Chemical irritation – A chemical reaction can easily trigger this problem.
• Psoriasis – It results in scaling and inflammation of the skin causing it to peel.
– Symptoms of Skin Peeling seen in
• Erythroderma – It shows the symptoms of thickening and flaking of the skin.
• Exfoliative dermatitis – It causes the skin to flake.
• Ichthyosis – A rare disease caused mainly due to dryness, the resulting roughness leads to scaly fish-like skin.
• Kawasaki disease – Found mainly in infants and young children. It is characterized by rash and swelling of the hands.
• Scarlet fever – Even though it causes strep throat problems, it also causes rashes over the upper body which spreads the entire body.
• Burns is another major cause of skin peeling.
• Another cause is Peeling Skin Syndrome or Skin Peeling Syndrome. A rare genetic disorder that causes continuous skin peeling. It may also cause redness of the skin (erythema) and itching (pruritus). It has been divided into two categories- Non-inflammatory Type A and Inflammatory Type B category.
– Basic Measures to Prevent Peeling Skin
• Instead of pulling the peeled skin, use scissors.
• Drink plenty of water and remain hydrated.
• If you are out and about, use sunscreen at regular intervals.
• Pat, dry your skin instead of rubbing.
• Use mild soaps instead of strong and harsh soaps.
Warning: The reader of this article should exercise all precautionary measures while following instructions on the home remedies from this article. Avoid using any of these products if you are allergic to it. The responsibility lies with the reader and not with the site or the writer.